Sunday 16 February 2014

DIY: Painted Jars

If you have spent any time on pinterest ever you will definitely have noticed the massive trend of mason jars for every imaginable purpose. I love the look of jars (my cousin had them everywhere at her wedding and it was oh so romantic) however the price tag of mason jars here in Australia is not so loveable. 

While cleaning out my wardrobe I found a stack of empty candle jars (because apparently I'm a huge hoarder) and decided to put one of them to use for my very own jar project. May I present my very new bedside bouquet in an old yankee candle jar

Instagram makes everything pretty

If you would like to create your own I have included instructions below.



Firstly you will need to gather your supplies.

  • Old jar (I used a yankee candle jar because I like the unique shape they have, but I'm sure anything from a pasta sauce jar to an actual mason jar would work)
  • Acrylic Paint (I used 'Antique White' by Semco)
  • Glitter (super fine is best)
  • Glue (I used Martha Stewarts Glittering Glue)
  • Sponge brushes
  • Faux Flowers (Mine are peonies from the ever fabulous Ikea)



If you used a candle jar you will need to get the excess wax out before you start. I took photos of all the steps but to make this post less picture intensive you can find instructions HERE.


Once your wax is removed you can get onto painting the jars. I know some people paint the outside of their jars but I love the glossy look of the paint inside the jars, and I kid you not it is the simplest thing ever!

Sorry about the busy newspaper underneath
Pour/squirt some paint into the bottom of the jar




Begin to twirl it so it covers the entire bottom of the jar, then begin to swirl it around the sides. You may have to add more paint into the jar as you go (for this reason paint in a tube is easier to use). If needed squirt new paint onto the inner sides of the jar.




Continue swirling, adding paint, and swirling again until all of the jar is covered with paint. Leave it to dry on newspaper. Initially upside down, however after a few hours/when the paint is almost set turn the jar right side up to allow the jar to completely dry.




Using a sponge brush add a thin layer of glue around the top rim of the jar.




Sprinkle glitter onto the glue and leave to dry.



All dry and ready for flowers

Once the jar is dry you can begin to arrange your flowers in it. Side note: I found my flowers were scratching the paint off the jar because they had rough wire stems once I cut them down. To combat this I filled the jar with cotton balls (cotton stuffing would work too) and cut the flowers very short.



Place arrangement where you will see it and admire your work daily.


Well there you have it, how to create your very own arrangement of cuteness.

If you create your own I'd love to know so let me know in the comments below.

x Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment