Tuesday 4 March 2014

Teacher Tuesday...Bubble Germs

I know I know, it has been forever since I have posted a teacher Tuesday. In my defence I had to complete my final prac placement which was full on, then Summer came which meant Christmas and job hunting and now I finally have a job (albeit one day a week) I spend most of my time devoted to finding super fun ways to teach science to kinders (pre-k for all you Americans out there). 

We have started off the year learning about living and non-living things. To complement this (and continue to drum in that washing our hands is important) we are spending a day learning that living things need care, which includes washing to prevent us getting sick. 

I believe in a lot of fun, play and crafts in the kindy classroom and always try to allow children to express their knowledge, thoughts and ideas though art in every lesson we do. To complement our hygiene lesson we are making fun bubble germs to display for our parents. I love this craft because not only do we get to use bubbles (which help to clean) but we also create germs where no two will be the same. Read on below to find out how to make these adorable 'germs'.


Materials
Dishwashing liquid/bubble solution
Paint
Glitter
Paper 
Scissors
Feathers/pom poms/goggly eyes/pipe cleaners (whatever you want to use to decorate your germs)
Glue

Method
I do this in two parts to allow the paint to dry before decorating.

Part One - Making the bubble print

  • Have children cut out a squiggly shape from a piece of paper (Since my classes are still very new to school I pre-drew and copies lots of different squiggly shapes for them to cut out, but if your class is older they can draw their own shapes.)
  • Using the crayola method (found here) press paper into the tray of bubbles and lift up to reveal print. Make sure that children remember to blow through the straw and not suck up the paint and detergent 
  • While paper is still wet sprinkle glitter over the print for extra shimmer (obviously this is optional, I just love glitter).
  • Set aside to dry


Part Two - Decorating!

  • Lay out items for decoration in containers along with glue.
  • Have children come up in small groups to decorate their germs however they like. During this stage it is important to allow the child freedom to do whatever they wish with their germ, remember diversity is what makes this world such a wonderful place.
  • Set aside to allow glue to dry. 


That's it! A super easy and super cute craft. 

If you do this with your class I'd love to hear how it turns out.

x Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment