Sunday 9 March 2014

Heading for the Highlands

I have always had a love affair with tartan. This has only been fuelled by my Scottish ancestry, and attending a Presbyterian school where tartan made up about 50% of the uniform (we also had a pipe band which was pretty cool). Tartan is one of those cool weather staples that seems to enjoy its time in the spotlight every few years. Luckily for me, this year is one of those years. Below I have pulled items from around the internet that are fashionable, without making you look like a child, wallpaper, or like you're going to a costume party (the biggest problems of wearing tartan).



I own this dress in green (it also comes in red) and it's so comfortable and versatile. If I want to look ladylike I belt it, add black stockings, flats, and a string of pearls. If I want to be comfortable I add black leggings, boots, an oversized cardigan and leave the smock to hang free. 


This is my clan tartan and I have always wanted a scarf in it to represent my family and clan. This seller on ebay provides tartan scarves (and other goods) for a variety of clans so all you have to do is know to which you belong (or choose the tartan you think is prettiest). 


A tartan skirt is pretty much a winter wardrobe staple and the most classic of ways to incorporate tartan into your winter look. While I personally could never wear the blackwatch tartan (it's identical to my old school skirt) I think it is the classiest tartan to wear and looks more ladylike and less grunge compared to its red counterparts. 



For the tartan timid this jacket allows you to incorporate the trend into your look without looking like you're heading to Balmoral Castle with the Queen. Please note that unfortunately this is only available in sizes 8 and 10 (all the others are sold out) so act quick if you want it. 

 

Sadly I am not a student, and no longer have the need for a beautiful leather satchel. However if you do this beauty from Cambridge Satchel Co. is a subtle way to add some tartan to your look while also being incredibly practical. 



Obviously you can't forget your hair when decking out in tartan. This adorable tartan headband would be a fun pop to an otherwise black winter outfit. 



Tartan shoes peeping out from under jeans are the perfect way to inject some tartan into your casual wardrobe. This adorable offering from ModCloth even have little black bows to up the cute factor. 



Finally what post about tartan would be complete without the classic comfy tartan flannel shirt. This staple can be dressed down with jeans or up with pearls. It will keep you snugly and warm through cold winters and you can find them in an endless array of colours. 

So there you have it. My round up of tartan from around the internet. Just remember, when wearing tartan less is definitely more...unless you're going for an Alexander McQueen look in which case layer it up!

x Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment