Monday 3 March 2014

Easy Pumpkin Soup

It's Autumn!!! I love the Autumn and Winter months, the fashion, the smells, the food... So in all honesty today was not Autumn like in the least. We are still rocking hot weather here, it was about 33 degrees here today (91 for those on the fahrenheit system) however there is a certain crispness to the evening tonight. 

To celebrate the arrival of Autumn, and to use up the butternut pumpkin that has been sitting around for a while I made a nice hearty batch of creamy pumpkin soup for dinner. Below you'll find my fail proof, know it like the back of my hand pumpkin soup recipe. I'm not sure where this came from as I've been cooking it since forever, and I'm sure the recipe has changed a bit along the way. As always this recipe is Dukan friendly


Pumpkin Soup




Ingredients

  • 2 kg pumpkin, chopped (any kind you like, I prefer butternut for its sweeter flavour)
  • 1 large onion, chopped (or 1 cup frozen chopped onion if you're being lazy, no judgement here)
  • 1 litre vegetable stock 
  • 300 ml light thickened cream
  • 1-2 teaspoons pumpkin spice (depending on your preferences, if you don't have pumpkin spice, use a mixture of cinnamon and nutmeg)
  • salt and pepper to taste


Method
Chop pumpkin and onion. Add to a large stock pot with vegetable stock and simmer until soft. (I find the longer the better as the pumpkin flavour infuses the stock)

When pumpkin is soft transfer mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (you may need to do this in batches)

Return mixture to heat. Stir in cream, salt, pepper, and spice. Allow soup to heat up again.

Serve and enjoy! (Serves 4)


I love this recipe as it's so easy to do and tastes delicious. Perfect for after a busy day or to warm your cockles on a really cold night. 

x Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment